Friday, June 15, 2012

Rhubarb Syrup

We have finally got our new schedule down around here. It has taken me awhile to adjust to mornings, as I am normally a night owl staying up into the wee hours. Surprisingly I find myself loving my mornings. There is a small window before the kids get up that I get to savor a cup of tea or coffee, and enjoy the silence in the house. Most of my mornings I try to use my time wisely, getting a little domestic, and then when I come home, after the kids are in bed, I get "mom time" - whether that is crocheting on the couch while watching a movie, reading a book, or painting a watercolor. 
This week, during my domestic time before work, I made rhubarb syrup. It has gone straight into my must haves for the summer. Not too sweet or tart, and heavenly over vanilla ice cream or in ice tea. This is how I made mine ~

Rhubarb Syrup
Ingredients:
5 stalks of Rhubarb washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 cup total)
1 1/4 cups of water
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of your favorite honey

Put all ingredients into a saucepan on high heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer, stirring mixture every now and then. Rhubarb should break down and become more of a mash, while the liquid should start to have a pretty red pink color. Let it all simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes then take off heat. With a jar (or bowl that you can transfer the liquids into a jar afterwards) under a strainer, pour the mixture into the strainer, making sure to stir or press the rhubarb mash to get the most liquid out. Cool and it's ready to use.
Keep the mash rhubarb for pies, muffins, cakes, on top of ice cream, or yogurt. The syrup will stay for 3 weeks in the refrigerator and is really good in ice tea or seltzer.♥

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM, looks delicious. :)

Jenniffer said...

Delicious picture . . . and the recipe sounds pretty good too! ;)

Happy Weekend- glad to hear the routine is becoming normal. :)