Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Polka Dottie Embroidered Tote

Want to know what I was working on during the Christmas slumber? Well it was my Polka Dottie Embroidered Tote.
Awhile ago I got the book Embroidery Companion by Alicia Paulson. I love the Dahila Field Pillow. The little cute bird just caught my eye.
My polka dot fabric was a bit to dark and I was a bit to lazy to copy the pattern exactly from the book, so on the back side of the fabric I eye balled the pattern and free handed it. The bird and design came out in reverse because I didn't draw on the front side of the fabric.
After embroidering this lovely piece I was wondering what I was going to do with it. Hang it in an embroidery hoop on the wall? Make it into a pillow? Dish Towel? Curtain? The possibilities are endless. That is what I love about this book. You can take any pattern and make it into anything you want.
I decided to make a market bag. This one I switched up a bit by just making one side with a pocket, only one long strap, and I made an inside pocket.
I love the long one shoulder strap! It's a great alternative because you can use the bag two ways. The first is you can keep the strap long and wear the bag across your body, where the bag lies at your hip. The second is to knot the long strap and wear it over your shoulder, this option you can make the bag any length you want. Also the knot kinda adds some more charm to the bag.
The best part about the bag is all the vintage fabric and lace I used. The flowered fabric is a vintage pillowcase that was re-purposed and the lovely lace was found at an estate sale.
Oh it was hard debate for me whether or not I was going to keep this lovely bag all to myself. My little shop won the debate. Polka Dottie is sitting in the window right now and I know she will find a new wonderful home. I'm sure the owner will be proud of her just as much as I am.
Linking with Splash of Colour

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda
Hope you've had a good Christmas!
Your bag is gorgeous, so beautifully made!! At least you have made good use of your holiday time, I'm afraid all I've done is eat chocolate!!!
Just when I'm on could you email me you're address, I've a little something for you.
Best wishes for a wonderful New Year!
Vivienne x

Laura said...

I love the bag. What a great job you did! Now I really have to check out Alicia's book!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Laura

affectioknit said...

What an awesome bag! I love it!

Naturally Carol said...

Beautifully embroidered, I love the combo of flowers and spots too. Great bag!

Anonymous said...

I saw this in your shop and liked it. These pictures made me LOVE it. WOW!

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Amanda, I love your sweetly accented market bags! How lovely. I am so glad I stopped by your blog today =) Blessings to you for 2011.

Annette said...

What a beautiful bag! I don't know how you could possibly part with it.

silverpebble said...

I adore your bag - I got very excited when I saw it over on Flickr! Happy New Year to you x

*❀* said...

so beautiful! a really lovely bag and gorgeous photos.