Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Flying Wrapping Paper

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with friends and family! Our holiday started on Christmas Eve. We invited my family over that night for a great feast. We had homemade chicken pot pie, cheesecake, cupcakes, salad, fun sherbet punch, and so much more. The kids were excited to open their presents from family members and kept talking about Santa coming that night. I must have been reminded about the cookies and milk 15 times from the kids, and how important it was.
The kids had stayed up kind of late that night with the excitement of family and the new presents they had just opened. That did not stop them from walking up at 6 am. I had a small knock on my bedroom door, just to let me know that Santa did come and that they were up and ready to open presents. I advised them that we had to wait for dad, who had to work on Christmas Eve and wouldn't be home till 6:30am. They were good little children and went back to bed for another 2 hours. 
We announced that it was time to open presents, there was a stampede down the stairs, and wrapping paper started to fly. They opened their stocking first, wanted the candy inside, but then decided to continue with gifts. Santa's gifts were next and then the gifts they got from mom and dad. Then mom and dad spent an hour or so opening the packaging of the gifts (Just an FYI to toy companies, needing a screwdriver to get something out the package is a little much). 
I'm not sure why I spent so much time getting the house clean and ready for the holidays because at this point my house looked like a toy store blew up. That afternoon my mother and father in-law came over, unfortunately my sister in-law was not able to make it.The kids opened their gifts and we had a nice late lunch of yummy ham. Competition UNO then began, where I think the girls won, but the guys would never admit that. 
Christmas night after all the holiday parties were over, and kids were playing with their new toys, the house was quiet. I was able to start working on a new item, which came out better than I expected. I hope your  holidays were as magical as ours. We just have one dilemma when do we take down our decorations and the tree? I love the way it looks but always wonder how long everyone else keeps their tree up.

Linking with White Wednesday :) - go join the party!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in suspense - where's the new item? Show me, show me, show me! That last sentence was because you probably don't get enough of that in your life because I KNOW those little angels. :)

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas sounds wonderful.

I'm a quickie-taker-downer. Steve took down our tree last night. The Christmas decorations are all put up and the January decorations are out.

Steve is outside now getting the outside lights ready for next year. We are changing from color lights to all white.

I figured it was easier to make the change NOW rather than next November when we are in a rush.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year filled with all the very best things.

Anne Lorys said...

Sounds like a fun Christmas!!!
We always have big Uno competitions at our family gatherings, too. They can get downright brutal! ;-)

Happy New Year, my friend!
Hugs,
Anne

Kate said...

It all sounds like such a wonderful time! Magical indeed. There are lots of Uno championships going on here at the moment too. We love that game.
I hope you and your family are having a wonderful last few days of the year.

Kylie said...

That sounds so beautiful. I'm loving your stitchery too :) There is a date when you're supposed to take tree and decorations down... all I can remember is that it's in January;) Big help, I know! Hope someone else can really help you! K

Debbie~ said...

As far as your question, when to take it all down? You'll know when it's time...You'll be ready to carefully tuck it all away until next time!:) Mine stays up anywhere from one week after Christmas to two weeks! It all depends...When I get up in the morning and no longer insist the lights get turned on first thing, that usually is my clue that it's time to put it all away!


Your Christmas sounds like it was wonderful and homemade chicken pot pie is one of our favorites!!! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

Naturally Carol said...

I like Debbie's comment on the time to take down Christmas decorations and agree, you'll know. If you're beginning to get a little over it..do it then, 'cos you don't want to be really sick and tired of them, you want to want to do it again next time. I took mine down today...31st Dec..just 'cos I felt like a fresh start to the New Year, other years I have been slower..not wanting to let go of Christmas! Anyway, Happy New Year to you and your lovely family!!