Monday, January 3, 2011

Creative Process

I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years. Ours was a little traumatic and included a trip to the ER. We are all safe but a bit shaken. Since then I haven't really been able to be creative, my mind is kinda somewhere else lately. Last night I had tried to escape my thoughts by going into my craft room. I searched for something anything to do or make. It ended with me ironing some fabric and cutting a piece of fabric wrong. Hubby was surprised to see me come out of my craft room frustrated. I have tons of plans written down and even the supplies to do most of those plans.
Later on that same night I thought I would do some simple embroidery and ended up cutting it all out. Have you ever tried to cook mad? Well if you have then you will know that your food won't taste the same and more than likely gets burnt in someway. This is how my creative process is right now - stuck. All the things I am even attempting to produce stink. Trust me it's not an exaggeration.
I had full plans to come on here today to show you the before and afters of a project with a tutorial. Unfortunately I will just have to show you the before right now. The pictures are a set of curtains I picked up at the thrift store. When buying them I never planned on using them as curtains but just to use the fabric. I plan on sharing with you how to take a tab top curtain you can buy at a thrift store (or really any store) and turning it into a one of a kind laundry bag.
I have faith things will settle and get back to normal. The only thing that really needs to change is my thoughts. With Baby steps, I will get there.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand how scary that was for you and totally understand. But you must know that you are a very strong woman and you and hubby got through a very traumatic time together! Now it will just take time to feel "normal" again. Once you do - you will be as creative - if not more creative- as before. Love you guys and if I can do anything - just call.

Anonymous said...

You've obviously had a bit of a shock Amanda, so don't be too hard on yourself, I'll all come back, you'll see!
Vivienne x

Lynda said...

Breathing always helps. Deep breathing, staying in the moment, and trusting the God of my understanding have gotten me through (not over, but through, because it's a process) some very difficult, and traumatic, times. I'll pray that you find your way through this, and I really believe you will.

Tea with Prudence said...

Hi Amanda,
Sorry to hear that you had that experience.I hope everything turned out well.

I like the baby steps idea - don't try to force anything until your head clears.

It may sound unrelated, but it would be a good idea to stay away from high sugar type foods for a while (they have a negative effect on the brain), but at this time of year, I often find my brain not functioning properly and it took me years to realise that the Christmassy type foods where playing havoc with my brain.

Cheers
Fi

Anne Lorys said...

Big hugs and prayers coming your way, sweet friend! I know how shaken an experience like that can leave you feeling.

XOXO,
Anne

Naturally Carol said...

It may help to just do a little project that is familiar...so you can relax and just enjoy the process of sewing or crafting again. Then when the tension is gone from your life you will find your confidence and tackle fresh ideas once more. I hope everything is settling down for you now.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are going to go easy on yourself. I have no doubt in my mind that you will be creating wonderful new things soon. LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Amanda! xx

Lola Nova said...

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your ER trip. I know first hand how awful it is and can turn everything topsy-turvy for a while. Keep breathing and it will all sort itself out. Be patient and kind to yourself.

I have lost my sew-jo somewhere and I am hoping it'll turn up soon.
Take care of yourself!